…a garden in every child’s life. Growing great kids from the ground up!
Healthy, energetic and engaged children prepared to lead informed, happy and caring lives.
The mission of Kids Growing Strong is to empower families and caregivers to inspire children to adopt healthy lifestyles through proper nutrition and exercise while motivating children to actively learn about themselves and the environment through science-based, hands-on garden activities.
Goals and Objectives
HEALTH AND NUTRITION
- grow strong, active and engaged children through the cultivation of plants and vegetable gardens;
- teach children how they can derive good health, energy and optimum nutrition by making wise food choices;
- encourage children to become more physically active by connecting internet-based activities with physical “get-outside, get-into-nature, and make-your-own-discoveries” type of activities;
- guide parents through a network of support and activities that will assist them in making healthy choices for themselves and their children;
- provide opportunities for “hands-on” activities so children have sensory encounters that stimulate curiosity and reinforce learning;
- create experiences that give children the opportunity to discover the wonders that science can bring into their lives;
- develop strategies and techniques to make complex scientific principles easy to understand;
- teach children and families about the importance of maintaining the natural world through sustainability and environmentally friendly actions;
SOCIAL AND PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
- empower children and their families to take immediate and specific actions to enhance their own well-being;
- nurture the enthusiasm and natural curiosity children have for learning, encourage their interest in creative arts and inspire appreciation of natural beauty;
- encourage family and friends to share experiences and build relationships with children;
- impart skills and values to help children build confidence in themselves and become contributing members of their community;
- help children realize they are part of a caring human community as well as part of an interconnected natural world;
develop a well-trained and experienced corps of evangelists dedicated to outreach activities who promote the mission and objectives of KGS in communities throughout California and beyond.